Overview of ARDMS
The American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) is an independent, not-for-profit organization founded in 1975 that administers examinations and awards the following credentials:
- RDMS® – Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer®
- RDCS® – Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer®
- RVT® – Registered Vascular Technologist®
- RPVI® – Registered Physician in Vascular Interpretation®
- RMSK™ - Registered in Musculoskeletal™ sonography
ARDMS is the globally recognized standard of excellence in sonography and has certified more than 75,000 individuals. ARDMS is composed of three key groups:
- Board of Directors – Sonographers, vascular technologists, physicians, research scientists, and a member of the public are volunteer members of the board that determines the direction and policies of our organization.
- Examination Development Task Forces – A group of sonographers, vascular technologists, physicians and scientists volunteer their time and expertise to produce our examinations.
- Professional Staff – A paid, highly-skilled staff administers our programs and assists applicants and registrants.
Credentials awarded by ARDMS document personal achievement of recognized professional standards and are widely accepted in the medical community by sonography and vascular professional organizations. However, ARDMS does not validate the day-to-day job performance of any sonography professional.
ARDMS has earned the prestigious ANSI-ISO 17024 accreditation for certifying bodies from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Accreditation is granted through the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). ARDMS has also earned accreditation with the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA). The NCCA is the accrediting arm of the National Organization for Competency Assurance (NOCA). Established in 1977 as a nonprofit organization, NOCA is a leader in establishing quality standards for certifying organizations.