- What is the ARDMS five-year rule?
- I submitted my online application a week ago and would like to know when I can take the examination.
- I received my examination-confirmation letter. I noticed that I applied for the wrong examination.
- I just failed the examination. Can I apply right away to sit for it again?
- Can you tell me which prerequisite or requirement to choose?
- Can I send copies of my documents for my application?
- I am an RDMS Registrant with an OB/GYN specialty, and I would like to sit for the AB examination. Do I need to pick a prerequisite and send documentation?
- I just passed the principles and instrumentation examination and the corresponding specialty. When will I receive my certificate?
- My name has changed due to marriage/divorce. How can I change my name with ARDMS?
- Are there online Web sites that offer CMEs?
- How do I get my foreign degree evaluated?
- My credentials were revoked three years ago for failure to pay my renewal fee by December 31. How can I regain active status?
Candidates must pass a principles and instrumentation examination and the corresponding specialty examination within five years, regardless of sequence. Candidates who do not complete both exams within five years must retake the examination previously passed. Candidates who passed the now-unavailable UPI, CPI or VPI examination(s) are required to pass the SPI examination if the five year period lapses. The five year rule does not apply to Registrants seeking additional specialties under a credential already earned.
The five-year credential rule is based on the calendar year (January 1 through December 31). The five-year period begins the day the first examination is passed, and it includes any time that remains in that year plus the next five years. For example, a candidate who passed the first ARDMS examination on June 6, 2010, is required to pass the second examination by December 31, 2015.
2. I submitted my online application a week ago and would like to know when I can take the examination
First-time applicants: It can take up to three weeks to process applications from the time ARDMS receives all supporting documentation.
Re-applicants: It takes five to ten days to process applications from the time ARDMS receives it and/or all supporting documentation.
If the above-noted time has passed and you still have not received correspondence from ARDMS, please call the ARDMS office at (800) 541-9754. Receipt of your examination-confirmation letter allows you to schedule your examination(s).
3. I received my examination-confirmation letter. I noticed that I applied for the wrong examination
First-time applicants: If you submit an ARDMS application with the wrong examination selected, you can submit the Examination Switch Form with a $100 USD processing fee. Once payment has been received, ARDMS staff will reprocess the application internally and switch the examination for you.
Please note: Applicants may pursue the Fetal Echocardiography (FE) specialty under either the RDMS or RDCS credential. If you pass the FE with RDMS or pass the FE with RDCS, you will not be able to switch the FE Specialty to the other credential.
If you are unsuccessful at passing an examination, there is a 60-day waiting period before you can retake it . You will be able to reapply online after 72 hours and, if you are not advised to submit any documentation, you will be able to log on to MY ARDMS, print your confirmation letter and schedule and appointment within your eligibility period after 2 to 3 business days.
ARDMS policy does not allow us to tell you which prerequisite or requirement to choose. However, ARDMS does offer Prerequisite and Requirement Eligibility Program (PREP) a new program that provides a recommended prerequisite or requirement based on the responses given by first-time applicants.
ARDMS does not determine eligibility over the phone, by fax or by e-mail. Please view the prerequisite chart and SPI Examination Requirement chart for further information. Start by determining which education level you meet. Then, make sure you meet the additional clinical ultrasound/vascular experience. Complete your online application and submit all the required documentation.
ARDMS will accept copies of certificates and licenses. All transcripts must be original, official transcripts unless you are applying for the SPI examination under the SPI Examination Requirement. Letters documenting clinical experience must be official and on letterhead, including the address and telephone number. They must include: dates of experience, whether you worked full- or part-time (number of part-time hours must be included), and duties performed. They must be signed by a supervising sonographer/technologist and/or physician. Click here to view application sample letters.
In addition to the above-stated documents, all applicants applying for ARDMS specialty examinations (i.e. AB, OB/GYN, BR, etc.) are required to submit an original ARDMS Clinical Verification (CV) form for each examination. Copies and faxes of the CV form are not acceptable, as the initials and signature must be original.
7. I am an RDMS Registrant with an OB/GYN specialty, and I would like to sit for the AB examination. Do I need to pick a prerequisite and send documentation
You do not need to pick a prerequisite because you are considered a re-applicant. ARDMS recommends that Registrants who are applying to acquire a new specialty area have six months' minimum full-time clinical experience (equivalent to approximately 400 cases). Note that applications for any specialty examinations will have to be accompanied by an original ARDMS Clinical Verification (CV) form.
8. I just passed the principles and instrumentation examination and the corresponding specialty. When will I receive my certificate
Your welcome package, which will include your certificate, temporary ID card and other pertinent information, will be automatically mailed within four to six weeks of ARDMS receiving your passing scores from the test center.
Name change requests must include a completed Name Change Request Form and legal documentation verifying the change of name. The completed Name Change Request Form and legal documentation may be faxed to (301) 576-8578, scanned and emailed to email@example.com or mailed to 1401 Rockville Pike, Suite 600 Rockville, MD 20852-1402 Attn: Name Change. All documentation submitted must be legible.
Click here to view a list of continuing medical education (CME) providers and web sites where CMEs can be earned for free and for a fee offered by the ARDMS.
If you are submitting a foreign degree, an original course-by-course foreign transcript evaluation must accompany the application and indicate the aforementioned education requirement. Click here to view a list of agencies that perform these evaluations.
12. My credentials were revoked three years ago for failure to pay my renewal fee by December 31. How can I regain active status
At this time, you are required to apply as a re-applicant, using your previous ARDMS Number, and retake your examinations. Please note that ARDMS offers only online application processing. To apply for the Sonography Principles and Instrumentation (SPI – physics) examination, you need to submit the application and payment. To apply for the specialty examination, you need to submit the application, the payment and the appropriate Clinical Verification (CV) form.