To obtain the RDMS credential, you must meet the required examination prerequisites and pass two comprehensive examinations — the physics examination and a corresponding specialty examination.
Physics Examination: Sonography Principles and Instrumentation (SPI)
• Abdomen (AB) – Available upon demand
• Breast (BR) – Available upon demand
• Fetal Echocardiography (FE) – Available at select times
• Obstetrics & Gynecology (OB/GYN) – Available upon demand
• Pediatric Sonography (PS) – Available at select times
Note: You may pursue the FE specialty under the RDMS or RDCS credential, but once you earn the designated credential, it cannot be switched.
Important Announcement About the NE and PS Specialties
To adapt to the evolving field of sonography, the ARDMS Board of Directors has approved the decision to begin phasing out the Neurosonology (NE) specialty examination prior to the launch of the first PS examination. Beginning 2015, the NE specialty examination will no longer be available. Click to view the press release about the development of the PS examination.