Each day, millions of patients worldwide undergo diagnostic medical ultrasound examinations. Now, imagine caring for these patients while you are in pain. For many sonographers, physicians, and other medical professionals performing ultrasound examinations, pain from work-related musculoskeletal disorders (WRMSD) is a reality that limits their ability to live productive lives.
Research proves that ultrasound is a safe and effective method to diagnose numerous medical conditions in men, women, children, infants, and fetuses. Sonographers, physicians, and other medical professionals performing ultrasound examinations suffer from WRMSDs at an alarming rate. It is critical to stop the rapidly growing incidences of WRMSDs in ultrasound professionals for the ongoing health and well-being of both medical professionals and the patients they serve.
A pioneering alliance of leading ultrasound organizations is seeking partners to join in this grand challenge to stop WRMSDs resulting from the performance of diagnostic medical ultrasound.
What is Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorder (WRMSD)
WRMSD are preventing sonographers, physicians, and other medical professionals from providing critical care to millions of patients each day as well as limiting the careers and personal lives of these highly skilled clinicians. WRMSD cost employers $120 billion each year in direct and indirect costs.
Alternatively, WRMSDs are putting a strain on America’s health care system, limiting the careers of highly skilled clinicians, preventing them from leading productive lives and costing employers $120 billion each year in direct and indirect costs. Immediate action is needed to stop WRMSD.
Steps to Stop WRMSD
- The alliance has compiled an appendix of more than 70 research articles on WRMSD.
- Need to identify additional areas of research.
- Update existing research with current figures.
- Leverage existing resources (Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography [SDMS] safety alert document, WRMSD white paper, etc.) and identify additional data/resources that address the economic impact of WRMSD.
- Identify stakeholders that will respond to the financial side of the WRMSD issue and compile/find/quantify relevant information.