This volunteer opportunity is most active from December – February and June – August, and a good fit for individuals with at least 5 years of experience in a specialty area.
Did you know that in addition to writing questions for ARDMS examinations, you can also write questions for quizzes to confirm the knowledge of sonographers? These opportunities support the development of our Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program and specifically the ARDMS SKILLS App. If this is something you are interested in, sign in to MY ARDMS and visit Volunteer Now to sign up.
The Difference Between ARDMS Examinations and ARDMS Quizzes
ARDMS examinations need to be taken and passed to earn an ARDMS credential. ARDMS quizzes need to be completed to confirm your knowledge after earning your ARDMS credential. ARDMS quizzes can be attempted as many times as needed to demonstrate learning. Whether you write questions for ARDMS examinations or quizzes, you are still helping us to uphold standards for sonographers. Writing questions for quizzes requires more experience in your role as a sonographer.
What Is MOC?
Find out about Maintenance of Certification and why it is so important to sonographers and patients. A huge part of MOC is knowledge confirmation through a quarterly 10-question quiz in the ARDMS SKILLS app.
MOC volunteers write, review, and approve the quiz questions on an item banking website then the Inteleos staff upload the quizzes to the ARDMS SKILLS app. Now that you know what MOC is, read below to understand the time commitment and core responsibilities when you become a MOC volunteer.
Time Commitment for MOC Volunteers
- MOC Writes and Review items in 2-month cycles that are scheduled once every 6 months:
- Writers participate in December – January and June – July cycles
- Reviewers participate in January – February and July – August cycles
- MOC Volunteers will need to devote approximately 10 hours during a 2-month cycle:
- 1-2 hoursduring an initial training session to familiarize themselves with the item review website, process, and content.
- 1-4 hours to review items at their own pace
- 2-4 hours for live review session with the review team
This is a weekly time commitment. MOC Volunteers will need to devote:
- 2 hours during an initial working session to familiarize themselves with the item review website, process, and content.
- 30-60 minutes to check in weekly during convenient times (this time depends on the amount of collaboration occurring on the item writing website)
Core Responsibilities for MOC Volunteers
- Complete 1-hour onboarding and training session
- Learn to use the item writing and review website
- Communicate questions and concerns with ARDMS Content Managers
- Review and edit the quiz questions, answers, explanations, and media
- Approve the final draft of questions to create a question bank for our 10-item quizzes that are released each quarter in the ARDMS SKILLS App
- Contribute expertise and knowledge from cases experienced in daily diagnostic medical ultrasound application
Required Education/Experience for MOC Volunteers
- At least 5 years of experience in their specialty and are actively practicing diagnostic medical sonography.
- Volunteer Writers should be practicing modern techniques and be interested in expanding their knowledge to more complex applications of the content
- Writers should have experience reviewing items for a strong basis in item structure and rigor
Supervisory Environment for MOC Volunteers
Volunteers will work with peers in their specialty under the supervision of the Content Managers from ARDMS. In the future, mentors may be selected to help shape and guide the content for the ARDMS SKILLS app quizzes.
Technical Requirements for MOC Volunteers
- Access to a computer browser and internet
- Access to the Zoom App and a screen that can view video
Specialty areas you can write quizzes for:
- Abdomen (AB)
- Adult Echocardiography (AE)
- Breast (BR)
- Fetal Echocardiography (FE)
- Musculoskeletal Sonography (MSKS)
- Obstetrics & Gynecology (OB)
- Pediatric Echocardiography (PE)
- Pediatric Sonography (PS)
- Vascular Technology (VT)
ARDMS strives to produce a pool of credentialed individuals that will develop high standard and relevant MOC quizzes for the next generation of sonographers. Our mission is to provide access to the best patient care for everyone and it starts with industry leaders like YOU! Contact our Volunteer Engagement team with any questions at email@example.com.
Just starting out in your career, or don’t have availability during our writing and reviewing cycles? Writing questions for ARDMS examinations might be a better fit for you!