This volunteer opportunity is a great way to contribute to the future of certification maintenance and learning at ARDMS.
Launching as an official requirement in June 2024 and available for all ARDMS Registrants to begin using now, the ARDMS SKILLS app provides a way for sonographers to confirm their existing knowledge and learn about topics and pathologies they may not see every day via low-stakes quizzes delivered via the app.
Similar to the core examinations, we need subject matter experts like you to write and review the items in every item. This is a perfect volunteer opportunity for Registrants with at least 5 years of experience to support your professional community.
The Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program outlines our dedication to encouraging our community’s ongoing education and is intended to support continued competence and career-long learning for our Registrants. One element of the MOC program, Knowledge Confirmation, is supported by the delivery of quarterly, low-stakes quizzes through the the ARDMS SKILLS app. The quizzes require no advanced study or preparation and can be re-taken as needed to meet the requirement to maintain specialty certifications.
ARDMS examinations need to be taken and passed to earn an ARDMS credential. ARDMS quizzes need to be completed to confirm your knowledge after earning your ARDMS credential. ARDMS quizzes can be attempted as many times as needed to demonstrate learning. Whether you write questions for ARDMS examinations or quizzes, you are still helping us to uphold standards for sonographers. Writing questions for quizzes requires more experience in your role as a sonographer.
* All: 1-2 hours during an initial, online training session to become familiar with the item review process and website
* Item Writers: 10-15 hours over a 6-week period to write questions, possible answers, and explanations and to gather supporting media
*The amount of time will vary depending on the number of items contributed
*We assume approximately one hour per item
*Writers work at their own pace
* Item Reviewers: 4-8 hours over a two-month period
*2-4 hours to review items at their own pace
*2-4 hours for live, online review sessions with the whole team
* Item Review typically occurs from January to March and from July to September
*Live sessions are scheduled during mornings, afternoons, or evenings based on volunteer team availability
* Item Writing typically occurs from February to April and from August to October
* Be an ARDMS Registrant in good standing
* Complete a 1-hour onboarding and training session
* Learn to use the item writing and review website
* Write and/or review, edit, and approve quiz questions, answers, explanations, and media
* Communicate questions and concerns with ARDMS Content Managers
* Contribute expertise and knowledge from daily use of diagnostic medical ultrasound
* Have access to a computer with an excellent Internet connection
- At least 5 years of experience in their specialty and are actively practicing diagnostic medical sonography.
- Volunteer Writers should be practicing modern techniques and be interested in expanding their knowledge to more complex applications of the content
- Abdomen (AB)
- Adult Echocardiography (AE)
- Breast (BR)
- Fetal Echocardiography (FE)
- Musculoskeletal Sonography (MSKS)
- Obstetrics & Gynecology (OB)
- Pediatric Echocardiography (PE)
- Pediatric Sonography (PS)
- Vascular Technology (VT)
ARDMS strives to produce a pool of credentialed individuals that will develop high standard and relevant MOC quizzes for the next generation of sonographers. Our mission is to provide access to the best patient care for everyone and it starts with industry leaders like YOU! Contact our Volunteer Engagement team with any questions at email@example.com.
Just starting out in your career, or don’t have availability during our writing and reviewing cycles? Writing questions for ARDMS examinations might be a better fit for you!