You can now take the MW examination online from the comfort of your own home. Learn more!
The Midwife Sonography examination assesses the knowledge, skills and abilities in the areas of the female reproductive system as well as the fetus in the first, second and third trimesters of pregnancy. By earning the Midwife Sonography Certificate, midwives gain a critical edge in promoting public safety in women’s point-of-care ultrasound.
In order to earn the Midwife Sonography Certificate, the certified-midwife must pass both required components in the following order:
- Part One: Midwife Sonography Computer-based examination
- Part Two: Practical examination (You may begin acquiring this experience before passing the computer based examination. See Practical Examination section for details)
Review the “Certification Process” under the “Overview” tab below. For a quick overview of the certification process, please view this quick visual guide. For detailed information about eligibility requirements and how to apply, schedule and prepare, please click the tabs below.
In order to earn the Midwife Sonography Certificate, you must apply, and meet the eligibility requirements and then complete both parts of the examination process:
- Part One: Midwife Sonography Computer-based Examination
- Part Two: Practical Examination (You may begin acquiring this practical experience before passing the Computer-based examination. This experience can be completed up to 2 years before passing the Computer-based examination and/or up to 2 years after passing the Computer-based examination. Documentation of the cases must be received in the office within 2 years after passing the Computer-based examination.)
The Midwife Sonography written examination which is Computer-based is only offered during select times of the year. Once the eligibility requirements have been met and your application has been approved, you can take the Computer-based examination. The Midwife Sonography Certificate is earned upon successfully completing Part One and Part Two of the certification process.
Note: If both parts of the certification process are not successfully completed within the allotted time frame, any passing scores will be rescinded and you will need to restart the application process.
Note: Any incomplete Practical examination submissions will not be accepted and Candidates will be charged a processing fee ($25) for re-submitting the required eight forms, if the initial submission was incomplete.
The Midwife Sonography Computer-based examination is two hours long and contains 100 multiple-choice questions.
As a windowed examination, scores for the Midwife Sonography Computer-based examination will be available approximately 60 days following the close of the administration via MY ARDMS.
For more information, review the “Scoring” tab.
Periodically we conduct a Midwife Sonography Job Task Analysis (JTA) and update the Midwife Sonography examination to reflect the frequency and importance of tasks being performed by midwives.
The Midwife Sonography Certification assessment is powered by ARDMS. ARDMS functions under policies intended to demonstrate impartiality, high ethical standards and validity of its certification assessments. ARDMS does not restrict Applications or Candidates from becoming a Registrant based on limiting conditions, such as membership of an association or professional society of any organization. ARDMS will not unfairly impede or inhibit access to its certification to Applicants, Candidates or Registrants who meet our stated policies regarding qualification requirements, renewal requirements and/or passing ARDMS’ psychometrically sound certification assessments.
Maintenance of Certification (MOC) improves patient care by ensuring continuous lifelong learning and professional development throughout your sonography career. MOC gives your employers, patients and co-workers confidence in the ongoing value of your Midwife Sonography Certificate.
1. Submit an annual certificate renewal fee of $50* due by 12/31 which includes the following attestations:
- Compliant with all ARDMS compliance policies;
- Hold an active Certified Midwife (CM) or Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM) credential offered by the American Midwifery Certification Board (AMCB); and
2. Complete certificate maintenance Option 1 or Option 2 by the deadline date of 12/31 of the fifth year of your five-year cycle.**
Option 1: Continuing Education
- Obtain 15 CEUs/CMEs/CPDs in OB/GYN ultrasound practice from an ARDMS-accepted sponsor within your five-year cycle.
- Attest to having completed a minimum of 50 ultrasound scans within your five-year cycle.
Option 2: Reexamination
Register and pay for the current Midwife Sonography Certificate Examinations (both the Computer-based examination and the Practical examination) no sooner than the fourth year of your current five-year cycle.
- Both examination components must be successfully completed by 12/31 of the fifth year of your five-year cycle.
- Criteria for successful completion of both examinations will be the same as those in effect for first-time applicants at the time the examination is taken.
*NOTE: If one holds another ARDMS/APCA certification, the annual fee will be the higher fee. For example, if one holds the ARDMS OB/GYN credential, the fee to renew both would be the higher fee of $85.
**Your five-year cycle begins the day you attain the Midwife Sonography Certificate and any time that remains in that year plus the next five years. For example, if you earn the certificate on 12/10/2022, your five-year cycle will be 12/10/2022 – 12/31/2027. Your five-year cycle after that will be 1/1/2028 – 12/31/2032.
Reinstatement (Renewal Non-Payment)
If you do not pay your Midwife Sonography Certificate renewal fee by the December 31, 2022 deadline, you are no longer an Active Certificant. The reinstatement process allows you to reinstate your Active Status to prevent your certificate from being permanently revoked. You have two opportunities to reinstate your certificate:
|||1st Reinstatement Opportunity||Final Reinstatement Opportunity|
|Deadline||February 28, 2023||August 1, 2023|
|Fees||Renewal Fee + $100 USD Reinstatement Fee||Renewal Fee + $200 USD Reinstatement Fee|
You have until February 28, 2023 to pay the ARDMS renewal fee plus a $100 USD reinstatement fee and attest online. If you miss the February 28 deadline, you have one final opportunity to reinstate by paying the annual renew fee plus a $200 reinstatement fee and attesting online by the August 1, 2023 deadline.
During online payment of your renewal fee, you will attest, or certify, that you are in compliance with all ARDMS rules and compliance policies and are in good standing with ARDMS. The following is the attestation specific to someone holds just the Midwife Sonography Certificate.
Attestation: By paying the annual renewal fee, he/she attests that:
(a) have an active Certified Midwife (CM) or Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM) credential offered by the American Midwifery Certification Board (AMCB), and
(b) have completed –or will have completed, by the end of the appropriate five-year cycle –the required certification maintenance activities (continuing education or reexamination).
(c) has remained compliant with the ARDMS Compliance Policies. The Compliance Policies outline violation standards that provide grounds for investigation and possible sanctions and include the following:
- Engaged in fraud in connection with obtaining or renewing certification;
- Engaged in misrepresentation of one’s certification status;
- Been the subject of disciplinary action by a state licensing board/national professional association/accrediting body;
- Been convicted of a crime or had a finding of guilty entered against them, granted probation before judgement, etc.;
- Engaged in clinical duties while impaired due to chemical, drug or alcohol abuse;
- Cheated or assisted others in cheating during the assessment process;
- Failure to cooperate with the ARDMS investigation of any of the above violations.
* Notice regarding previously unreported violations of the ARDMS Compliance Policies: If you have a previously unreported violation of the ARDMS Compliance Policies to report, you must report the violation to the ARDMS Compliance Department before paying your annual renewal fee through your MY ARDMS Portal. After reporting the violation, you may continue with the renewal process however review of the violation matter you have reported will continue separately in accordance with the ARDMS Compliance Policies.
Must hold an active Certified Midwife (CM) or Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM) certification offered by the American Midwifery Certification Board (AMCB).
Continuing Medical Education (CMEs/CEUs/CPDs):
Must earn 12 ARDMS-accepted CMEs/CEUs/CPDs or education hours in OB/GYN ultrasound earned within five (5) calendar years of application submission.
When applying for the examination, you will need to upload the following application documentation through MY ARDMS within 21 days of submitting your online application.
Documentation Required with Application:
- Certificate(s) or other original documentation for a minimum of 12 credit/hours of ARDMS-accepted CMEs/CEUs/CPDs or education hours in OB/GYN ultrasound earned within five (5) calendar years of application submission
- A copy of current, valid/active CM or CNM certification.
The necessary supporting documentation for the Midwife Sonography examination must be submitted online and received within 21 days of submitting your online application.
Please note: We do not retain application documentation received prior to receipt and payment of the online application. Any documentation received prior to the completed online application will be discarded.
The Midwife Sonography examination is offered during select periods of the year. Refer to the “Schedule” tab for upcoming dates.
Once you are ready to apply for a Midwife Sonography examination, follow the steps below:
- Log in to MY ARDMS and choose the “Apply Online” option.
- Select and complete the Midwife Sonography online application form with attestation and submit payment of $300.
- Gather the required supporting documentation. Review the “Eligibility Requirements” tab for more information.
- Upload your supporting documentation to MY ARDMS for receipt within 21 days of applying online. Review of your application can take up to five business days from receipt of documentation in the office.
Once we have reviewed your information, we will email you with either an Examination Confirmation Letter (ECL) or a request for additional documentation. When you receive the ECL, you may contact Pearson VUE to schedule an examination appointment during your eligibility period. The eligibility period will be listed on your ECL or you may visit the “Schedule” tab to view the current Midwife Sonography examination administration dates.
If you are found ineligible to take the examination, your application will be partially refunded (less the $100 USD processing fee per examination).
If you are found eligible to take an examination, we will email you an Examination Confirmation Letter (ECL) within one to two days of application approval and you will be able to schedule your appointment at that time. The ECL will also be posted to your MY ARDMS account and will include your eligibility period to schedule and take your examination.
The Practical examination is completed by submitting documentation that demonstrates successful completion of cases. These cases can be completed up to 2 years before passing the Computer-based examination and/or up to 2 years after passing the Computer-based examination. Additionally, if you do not complete the Practical examination within six months of the Computer-based examination, then you will have to obtain and submit 5 new ARDMS-approved CMEs/CEUs/CPDs or education hours in OB/GYN ultrasound.
The documentation must reflect one of the following
Option 1: Successful performance completion of eight cases across defined domains through direct practical assessments.
Option 2: Successful performance completion of eight cases across defined domains through a combination of direct practical assessments and simulation*. 3 of the 8 cases can be through simulation*.
Required Documentation must be submitted via MY ARDMS and it must be received within 2 years after passing the Computer-based examination.
Original signed and completed Midwife Sonography Practical Assessment Form for each of the following domains:
One case must be transabdominal and one case must be transvaginal/endovaginal.
Case 1: Choose one case to complete:
- First Trimester: 6 Weeks 0 Days – 9 Weeks 6 Days-Transabdominal
- First Trimester: 6 Weeks 0 Days -9 Weeks 6 Days-Transvaginal/Endovaginal
Case 2: Choose one case to complete:
- First Trimester: 10 Weeks 0 Days – 12 Weeks 6 Days-Transabdominal
- First Trimester: 10 Weeks 0 Days- 12 Weeks 6 Days-Transvaginal/Endovaginal
Cases 3-6: All four cases in this section must be completed:
- Second/ Third Trimester: Biometry-Transabdominal
- Second/ Third Trimester: Cervical Length-Transvaginal/Endovaginal
- Second/Third Trimester: Biophysical Profile/Amniotic Fluid-Transabdominal
- Second/Third Trimester: Presentation, Fetal Number, Viability, Placenta-Transabdominal
Cases 7-8: Please complete two of the cases from the three sections below. One case must be transabdominal and one case must be transvaginal/endovaginal:
IUD PLACEMENT AND POSITION OF UTERUS
- GYN: Intrauterine Device (IUD) Placement-Transabdominal
- GYN: Intrauterine Device (IUD) Placement-Transvaginal/Endovaginal
MEASUREMENT OF POSITION AND ENDOMETRIAL THICKNESS
- GYN: Position and Endometrial Thickness-Transabdominal
- GYN: Position and Endometrial Thickness-Transvaginal/Endovaginal
NUMBER AND MEASUREMENT OF OVARIAN FOLLICLE
- GYN: Ovarian Follicle Measurement-Transabdominal
- GYN: Ovarian Follicle Measurement-Transvaginal/Endovaginal
Note: Any incomplete Practical examination submissions will not be accepted and candidates will be charged a processing fee ($25) for re-submitting the required eight forms, if the initial submission was incomplete.
*Simulation: Must be performed on an approved simulator, capable of realistically replicating a real, live patient encounter. Proof of successful completion of the simulated encounter can be documented by having the simulated scan signed-off by an evaluator described above or by a simulation center director/manager who is authorized and trained to verify proficiency with OB/GYN simulators.
If you need special accommodations, please select “Yes” for “Special Accommodations” in the application and submit the following along with your completed application:
- An original copy of a letter dated within the past five years and typed on official letterhead from a qualified physician or health care provider who specializes in the disability. This letter must document the disability and its severity, describe the applicant’s limitation due to the disability and state exactly what accommodations are recommended. The letter must contain an original signature and the physician’s or provider’s credentials.
- An original copy of a comprehensive medical evaluation/report of the diagnosed disability from the physician or health care provider, dated within the past five years.
- A completed Americans with Disabilities Act ADA Special Accommodations Questionnaire, which must be submitted each time you apply for an examination.
For more information, click here.
You can now take the MW examination online from the comfort of your own home. Learn more!
After the eligibility requirements have been met and your application has been approved, you can take the Computer-based examination. The Midwife Sonography examination is only offered during select periods of the year. See schedule below.
|Application Dates for Midwife Sonography examination||Administration Dates for Midwife Sonography examination|
|April 12, 2022 – June 21, 2022||July 5, 2022 – August 4, 2022|
Once your application has been approved, an Examination Confirmation Letter (ECL) will be emailed to you to schedule an examination with Pearson VUE – our official testing vendor. The ECL will include your eligibility period based on the set administration dates and you are encouraged to schedule promptly to ensure availability.
Once you have received approval to schedule your examination, please visit Pearson VUE to:
- Search for seat availability
- Locate a test center
- Schedule an examination
- Contact Pearson VUE Customer Service
If you are taking the Computer-based examination at an international test center (outside the U.S., Canada and Mexico), a $100 USD non-refundable fee and Value Added Tax (VAT) will be charged by Pearson VUE. All international scheduling fees and associated VAT will be charged at the time the examination is scheduled. The fees and associated VAT are subject to change without notice, and they are non-refundable.
To reschedule the date and time of your examination during your eligibility period, you must contact Pearson VUE (1-877-258-9220) at least 96 hours (four days) prior to the scheduled examination date and time.
Please note: This is a windowed examination and extensions are not available. You can reschedule your appointment for another time within your stated eligibility period. However, if you cannot take it within your stated eligibility period, please follow the cancellation procedure below!
To cancel an examination appointment, you must contact Pearson VUE (1-877-258-9220) and cancel the scheduled appointment no later than 96 hours prior to the scheduled examination appointment time. You will receive a cancellation email from Pearson VUE.
To request a partial refund, you must wait 24 hours after canceling the appointment with Pearson VUE and then submit a cancellation/partial refund request no later than 96 hours prior to the last date of the eligibility period.
To submit this request:
- Log in to your MY ARDMS account
- Select “Exam Cancellation” from the “Exam Information” menu
- Complete and submit the form
We will refund your examination fee, less the $100 USD processing fee per examination, unless we (1) receive your request too late, (2) you never schedule your examination or (3) you do not keep your scheduled examination appointment. Then, the entire examination and processing fees are forfeited.
Please note: This is a windowed examination and extensions are not available. You can reschedule your appointment for another time within your stated eligibility period. However, if you cannot take it within your stated eligibility period, please follow the cancellation procedure.
When you arrive at a test center, be prepared to:
- Check in with a Test Center Administrator
- Present one valid photo identification (ID); see the Test Center Identification Requirements
- Provide a digital signature
- Have your palm vein scanned
- Take a test-day photograph
Note: The only thing that you can bring into the testing room is you. The test centers have lockers you can use to store personal belongings. Study materials as well as food and drink are prohibited in the test center. No visitors, guests, pets or children are allowed.
Important: Review the Examination Admission Compliance policies to ensure you are not refused admission at the test center and do not conduct unauthorized examination behavior. Test centers will provide white boards for notes during the examination upon request. If you need special accommodations, please select “Yes” for “Special Accommodations” in the application when you apply.
Taking a practice test or two is a great way to prepare for your actual examination. We offer a Midwife Sonography (Midwifery) Practice Test that simulates the computer interface used in the actual test center environment. The midwifery practice test review is comprised of 30 sample questions and is 30 minutes long.
After you complete a practice test, you will be emailed a report that shows the number of questions you answered correctly. While the report is an indication of your knowledge, the practice tests results should not be used to predict how well you will perform on the actual examination at the test center.
See FAQs for additional information.
Each practice test costs $35 USD.
You can now register for a midwifery practice test by signing into your MY ARDMS account and clicking the Sign Up/View Practice Test option in the Application Center tab. You can also view the computer system requirements in your MY ARDMS portal. For any general questions or technical problems regarding the practice tests, please call ARDMS at (800) 541-9754 ext. 3 or email email@example.com.
Before you start your test you should review the test tutorial. Please note you will not get a chance to review the test tutorial during the actual practice test, so please prepare accordingly. Once your session begins, you have 30 minutes to complete the practice test.
The Midwife Sonography Computer-based examination contains 100 multiple-choice questions that cover the following content areas. All percentages are an approximate distribution of the questions across the content areas.
Midwife Sonography Content Outline (Please click on “Midwife Sonography Content Outline” for the detailed Content Outline in PDF-Printable format).
1.0. Focused gynecologic ultrasound exams 14%
2.0. Focused first trimester OB exams 19%
3.0. Focused second and third trimester OB exams 35%
4.0. Protocols 13%
5.0. Using the ultrasound system 19%
Please note: All percentages are approximate.
Your score report will display and include performance feedback for these content areas.
After all of your diligent preparation and hours spent studying, here are a few valuable tips to help make your examination day a success:
- Double check that you know where the test center is before examination day and give yourself plenty of time to get there. Remember, you MUST arrive and register at least 30 minutes before the examination begins.
- Get a good night’s sleep before you take your examination. Being well rested and relaxed when you take your examination will help you concentrate.
- Bring one form of current and valid identification that complies with the test center identification requirements.
- Travel light. The only thing you can bring into the testing room is you. You can store your personal belongings — your car keys, watch, smartphone, purse, backpack, etc. — in lockers at the test center. The following items are not allowed in test centers: study materials, food, drink, visitors/guests, pets and children.
- Request a white board if you plan to jot down notes during the examination. Please note that you must complete the tutorial and accept the Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) prior to writing any notes. Once the 15 minute tutorial is complete there is a five minute window to accept the NDA. If the NDA is not signed within the appropriate window of time your examination ends and you will be escorted out of the testing room, forfeit your fees and eligibility. Test centers are using white boards (rather than paper) in an effort to “go green.”
The Computer-based examination test result is reported as a PASS or FAIL. In addition, your performance on the Computer-based examination will be reported as a scaled score, which ranges from 300 to 700. A scaled score of at least 555 is required to pass all ARDMS examinations. Please note that you cannot interpret your scaled score as a percent of questions answered correctly. Learn more about scaled scoring.
The Computer-based examination results and a full score report will be posted to your secure MY ARDMS approximately two months (60 days) after the close of the Computer-based examination window. An email will be sent notifying you when score results are posted. The results of your examination are limited to the following:
- Cancelled – Candidate cancelled scheduled examination appointment time.
- Absent – Candidate arrived late for a scheduled appointment, did not show up for a scheduled appointment or was denied at check-in due to a violation of a stated policy.
- Expired – Candidate did not schedule or take the examination within the assigned eligibility period
Candidates receiving a passing score on all required examinations and meeting all other requirements will be awarded a certificate. For information on the scoring methods, visit Notification of Results and Scoring.
If you fail the image (case) submission, you will receive feedback on the images that were rated inadequate. Candidates who do not pass are invited to re-apply.
*Pass status is not indicative of earning the specialty/credential. To obtain a Status Verification letter please log into your MY ARDMS account.
Proof of successful completion of the simulated encounter can be documented by having the simulated scan signed-off by an evaluator described above or by a simulation center director/manager who is authorized and trained to verify proficiency with OB/GYN simulators. The evaluator of the practical assessment must be an ARDMS registered sonographer with OB credentials and/or a physician with OB/GYN and ultrasound expertise.
Once the Candidate has successfully demonstrated and completed all required cases either through real patient scans or a combination of simulation, the documentation is then submitted to ARDMS as a completed package. In the event that a Candidate cannot obtain required practical assessments through live and/or simulation, the Candidate should contact ARDMS to obtain information on the possibility of remote practical assessment or acquiring and submitting images for independent assessment of required cases.
The evaluator of the practical assessment must be an ARDMS registered sonographer with OB credentials and/or a physician with OB/GYN and ultrasound expertise.
The documentation submitted for the practical examination shall be reviewed by the ARDMS Application Specialists.
All submissions must be in conformance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). All patient identifiers must be removed.
As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA) principles should be adhered to by using the lowest ultrasound exposure possible to gain diagnostic information. All ultrasound examinations should be medically indicated. In addition, ALARA principles should be followed when adjusting controls that affect the acoustic output power to the fetus. When acquiring fetal heart rates, M-mode must be used instead of Doppler.
Examination results cannot be reviewed until the scores are released, 60 days after the close of the examination administration.
You can request a score verification for a $35 USD fee, payable by check, money order or credit card. Score verification ensures that the computer counted the correct and incorrect answers appropriately, but it does not review the questions and answers.
You must submit the completed Exam Score Verification Form within 30 days of having taken the examination in question. The Exam Score Verification Form will be returned if incomplete, unsigned or unpaid.
When deciding whether to have your score verified, please consider that ARDMS examinations are scored electronically with a high degree of accuracy, and it is unlikely that verification will alter your original score.
ARDMS examinations are constructed to assess the knowledge and skills involved in tasks performed by midwives, sonographers, vascular technologists and physicians.
The Midwife Sonography examination is a new examination in 2017. Please find below pass rates for the Midwife (midwifery) Sonography examination administration.
First-time takers: 69%
First-time takers: 86%
First-time takers: 90%
First-time takers: 86%
First-time takers: 79%