The American Registry for Diagnostic and Medical Sonography (ARDMS) has been the global standard for sonography credentialing organizations since 1975 and offers the musculoskeletal ultrasound certification for sonographers through taking and passing the musculoskeletal sonography (MSKS) examination. This article will provide you information on the following:
- Benefits of earning the RMSKS credential
- How earning a RMSKS credential can help you in your career
- RMSKS credential cost
- Prerequisites for earning the RMSKS credential
- When you can apply for the MSKS examination
Benefits of Obtaining a RMSKS Certification by Passing the MSKS Examination
Why you should earn the musculoskeletal ultrasound certification for sonographers:
- The RMSKS credential is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) under the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 17024 standard. Both are recognized here and abroad as standards for credentialing.
- 90% of surveyed sonographers stated they have noticed an increased demand for musculoskeletal sonography.
- 71% of surveyed sonographers reported conducting more than 100 diagnostic medical sonography exams per month. Compared to MRIs, musculoskeletal sonography can be performed quickly and can scan in real time.
If you found the information above helpful. Please read our full MSKS Practice Analysis Survey.
Benefits of earning the RMSKS credential after passing the MSKS examination
We surveyed some of our sonographers, and they explained to us that earning the RMSKS credential has helped them to:
- Assess bone, muscle, tendon, ligament, nerve and soft tissue pathology and tears and assist with interventional procedures, injections and ultrasound guided carpal tunnel release.
- Increase their employment opportunities and work in orthopedics, radiology, rheumatology ultrasound, and sports medicine and more!
- Provide value and specialized knowledge to their hospitals or clinics
- Secure employment because not many sonographers have obtained the RMSKS credential because the RMSKS program is very new
If after learning the benefits of earning RMSKS, you are now ready to apply to take the MSKS examination, review the RMSKS prerequisites and apply via your MY ARDMS account. If you are a new user, you will have to register for a new MY ARDMS account.
Your Guide to Applying for the RMSKS Examination
Now that you know the benefits of earning the musculoskeletal sonography certification from ARDMS, you may be wondering what’s next?
If you are a sonographer, ultrasound technologist, or ultrasound specialist and have certified experience or education in:
- Musculoskeletal sonography
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound training courses
- Rheumatology ultrasound courses
You could may be able to to apply for the MSKS examination earn the RMSKS credential. The information below includes everything you need to know to apply for the MSKS examination.
Question Format & Duration
The MSKS examination is three hours and contains 170 multiple-choice questions, which include hotspot questions. The hotspot questions are Advanced Item Type questions that assess and measure your practical sonography skills.
The MSKS examination cost is $250 USD, which includes a $100 USD non-refundable processing fee.If you take an ARDMS examination at an international test center (outside the U.S., Canada and Mexico), you will be charged an additional non-refundable $100 USD fee when you schedule your examination. This fee is subject to change without notice.
How To Apply for the MSKS Examination to Earn the RMSKS Credential
- Step 1: Gather all of your supporting documentation and sign-in or create your MY ARDMS account.
- Step 2: Apply and submit payment for the MSKS examination via the Application Center in MY ARDMS.
- Step 3: Submit your supporting documentation: completed third-party attestation form, copy of current license of active credential and a government issued ID
- Step 4: Check your application status and print your examination confirmation letter via MY ARDMS if approved.
When You Can Apply for the MSKS Examination
The MSKS examination if offered twice a year. You can apply for the MSKS examination starting Tuesday, January 28, 2020. Please find important dates below:
- Application Dates for MSKS Examination – January 28, 2020 – April 7, 2020
- MSKS Examination Administration Dates – April 21, 2020 – May 21, 2020
Thank you for your interest in the musculoskeletal ultrasound certification for sonographers. We hope you found this helpful in how you can benefit from earning the RMSKS credential. For more detailed information regarding how you can apply for the MSKS examination to earn the RMSKS credential, please visit the ARDMS website. If you are ready to apply for the MSKS examination, please sign-in to or create your MY ARDMS account. Once you are signed in you can apply for the MSKS examination via the Application Center in MY ARDMS. If you have any questions, please reach out to our customer care team at firstname.lastname@example.org.