ARDMS-certified sonography professionals meet rigorous criteria in both knowledge and expertise in Sonography.
Applicants must meet prerequisites in education and clinical experience and pass ARDMS examinations, to earn one or more of the following credentials:
- Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer® (RDMS®)
- Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer® (RDCS®)
- Registered Vascular Technologist® (RVT®)
- Registered Musculoskeletal™ Sonographer (RMSKS™
- Midwife Sonography Certificate
ARDMS-awarded credentials document personal achievement of recognized professional standards and are widely accepted in the medical community by sonography and vascular professional organizations. However, ARDMS does not validate the day-to-day job performance of any sonography professional.
To earn the RDMS, RDCS, RVT and RMSKS credentials, you must pass the Sonography Principles & Instrumentation (SPI) examination and a corresponding specialty examination within a five-year period.
ARDMS offers these specialty examinations:
- Abdomen (AB)
- Adult Echocardiography (AE)
- Breast (BR)
- Fetal Echocardiography (FE)
- Musculoskeletal Sonographer (MSKS)
- Obstetrics and Gynecology (OB/GYN)
- Pediatric Echocardiography (PE)
- Pediatric Sonography (PS)
- Vascular Technology (VT)
Exclusive to Midwives:
For more information on ARDMS examinations and how to apply, visit Get Certified.
To earn the RDMS, RDCS, or RVT credentials, you may apply and take the SPI examination and the specialty examination in any order. However, once the first examination is passed (either the SPI or specialty examination), you are required to take and pass the second examination within five years of passing the first examination.