If you are an applicant and will be requesting testing accommodations, we recommend that you review the below information so that you can determine whether taking your examination at a physical test center or via online proctoring is the right choice for you.
1. When should I decide whether to take the test at a physical test center or via online proctoring?
All accommodations documentation must be received within 21 days of the date the application is submitted. Although not required, ARDMS strongly recommends that Candidates decide whether they will take their examination at a physical test center or via online proctoring before applying.
Determining your test administration preference before you apply will help you:
- Determine what accommodations are available for you to receive based on the way in which you take your examination (physical test center or online proctor), and
- Select the desired accommodations and ensure such is documented appropriately in the accommodations documentation you will submit to ARDMS within 21 days of your application date.
2. What types of testing accommodations are available for the online proctored examination?
The length of ARDMS examinations varies by examination, from two hours to three hours long. Breaks are not permitted; Candidates must always stay in view of their webcam and the proctor’s line of sight. Therefore, to provide candidates approved for testing accommodations with an optimal experience, the following accommodations are available in the online proctored environment:
|Sonography Principles & Instrumentation (SPI)||25% additional time (time and one quarter)
50% additional time (time and one half)
|All other ARDMS examinations offered via online proctoring||25% additional time (time and one quarter)|
All testing accommodations approved by the ARDMS continue to be available for examinations taken at Pearson VUE test centers (double time, frequent/extended breaks, etc.). Please visit the ARDMS Testing Accommodations page for more information.
3. If the only accommodation I am requesting is a private room, do I need to request accommodations for an online proctored examination?
No. All candidates taking the examination in an online proctored environment must be alone in a room with four walls and a closed door. The online proctor option allows the Candidate to take the examination at any location they desire, so long as the environment adheres to security requirements and the device used meets the technical requirements. For more information on these requirements please visit our online examination FAQs.
4. The examination application does not ask me if I want to take the examination in a test center or by online proctoring. How do I arrange to take the examination using online proctoring?
Once your application is approved, you will be sent an Examination Confirmation Letter to your e-mail address of record. The email will include the contact information for the Pearson VUE Testing Accommodations Scheduling Department. Upon receipt of the e-mail, you should contact Pearson VUE to schedule an online proctored examination appointment with the approved accommodations.
If you do not receive the e-mail or need to obtain a new copy of the letter, a copy can be downloaded from your MY ARDMS user account, under “My Examinations/Application Status” (found under the “Application Center” tab). This option is only available after the application is approved.
5. The examination I want to take is not available for online proctoring. Can I request to take it via online proctoring as a testing accommodation?
No, only the examinations listed as available for online proctoring can be delivered in this format. Preparing an examination for delivery in an online proctored environment is a significant and time-intensive transition. The online proctored format itself is not a testing accommodation, but a new administration method available to all Candidates approved to take an examination available in this format.
For general information regarding the online proctor option for examinations, please learn more about how to take your examination online and read our online examination FAQs.